Recipe by queenbeatrice
I use vegetable broth in this recipe, but you can use chicken broth if you prefer. If you cannot find sun-dried tomato paste, you can use the same amount of oil soaked sun-dried tomatoes, just crush them well. I serve this with garlic bread topped with cheese.
Top Review by mstan1369
This was my first attempt at making tomato soup, and this was quick, easy, and super tasty! I did adjust a couple of things- before putting the tomatoes and broth into the pot to simmer, I sauteed half of a yellow onion with a few cloves of garlic and some fresh thyme. A great way to make a satisfying dinner on a rainy Tuesday night after work. Thanks so much for posting, this will definitely be going into the cookbook.
Bring on the grilled cheese sandwiches!
- 3 lbs tomatoes, ripe
- 1 2⁄3 vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 small handful basil leaves
- basil, eaves (to garnish)
- creme fraiche
Directions See How It's Made
- Plunge tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds, then refresh in cold water. Peel off the skins and quarter the tomatoes. Put them in a large heavy pan and pour in the broth. Bring it just to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for about 10 minutes, until the tomatoes are thickened and pulpy.
- Stir in the sun-dried tomato paste, vinegar, molasses and basil. Season with salt and pepper, then cook gently, stirring, for 2 minutes. Process the soup in a blender in batches, then return to the pan and reheat gently.
- Serve in bowls topped with cream fraiche and garnish with basil leaves.