1/1 Photo of Fresh Tomato Soup
1 hr 15 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
This is a tasty combination of fresh tomatoes and intensely flavored sun-dried tomatoes. The recipe comes from The Soup Bible however I added the roasting of the tomatoes and onion. UPDATE: 8/7/09 I've reduced the servings to four; obviously the number of servings will vary with the size.of the portions. NOTE: I've also made using canned whole tomatoes, using the method in Ultimate Cream of Tomato Soup
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2-3 lbs ripe tomatoes, roma
- 1 small red onion, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, pealed, left whole
- 1 2/3 cups chicken stock or 1 2/3 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 -3 teaspoons sugar
- fresh basil leaf (small handful, plus extra for garnish)
- toasted cheese, croutes, to serve
- creme fraiche, to serve
- 1NOTE: To easily peel tomatoes use a sharp knife to cut a cross in the base of each tomato before plunging into boiling water.
- 2Plunge the tomatoes into boiling water for 30 seconds, then drop into bowl of cold water.
- 3Peel off skins and cut in half.
- 4Spray 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- 5Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 6Place tomatoes cut side down.
- 7Sprinkle onions and garlic over tomatoes.
- 8Drizzle 1 table olive oil over mixture and roast for 45 minutes.
- 9Place tomato/onion mixture in blender and blend until smooth.
- 10Move mixture to saucepan, and stir in broth, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar and basil.
- 11Season with salt and pepper.
- 12Simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- 13Serve in bowls, topped with toasted cheese croutes and spoonful of creme fraiche.
- 14Garnish with basil leaves.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (429 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 145.8
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 3.0 mg
- Sodium 255.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 13.4 g
- Protein 5.8 g