Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a tasty combination of fresh tomatoes and intensely flavored sun-dried tomatoes. The recipe comes from The Soup Bible however I added the roasting of the tomatoes and onion. UPDATE: 8/7/09 I've reduced the servings to four; obviously the number of servings will vary with the size.of the portions. NOTE: I've also made using canned whole tomatoes, using the method in Ultimate Cream of Tomato Soup
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs ripe tomatoes, roma
- 1 small red onion, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, pealed, left whole
- 1 2⁄3 cups chicken stock or 1 2⁄3 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 -3 teaspoons sugar
- fresh basil leaf (small handful, plus extra for garnish)
- toasted cheese, croutes, to serve
- creme fraiche, to serve
- NOTE: To easily peel tomatoes use a sharp knife to cut a cross in the base of each tomato before plunging into boiling water.
- Plunge the tomatoes into boiling water for 30 seconds, then drop into bowl of cold water.
- Peel off skins and cut in half.
- Spray 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place tomatoes cut side down.
- Sprinkle onions and garlic over tomatoes.
- Drizzle 1 table olive oil over mixture and roast for 45 minutes.
- Place tomato/onion mixture in blender and blend until smooth.
- Move mixture to saucepan, and stir in broth, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar and basil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve in bowls, topped with toasted cheese croutes and spoonful of creme fraiche.
- Garnish with basil leaves.
It's 90 dregees outside, but I just finished making a batch of this wonderful soup and had a bowl . I agree with Maito, don't skip the roasting, it's well worth the time. I used the oven this time, but when I make more I think I'll experiment with roasting a large quantity on the grill and stocking the freezer with this delicious soup, it will be a regular at our house. Thanks for posting
Absolutely delicious! I would not skip the roasting process, that gives this soup it's unique flavor. I used a hand blender, was too lazy to peel the tomatoes (but it was fine), and skipped the creme fraiche. Definitely a keeper!
Just finished eating this dish now. I doubled the recipe to make for 12 but it only made for 5!! Luckily most the house was out. Was really yummy other than this. I originally made this recipe to try the creme fraiche to see what it was like, and i loved it! i love all my my creams and sour creams ect. This recipe is fairly simple just takes time with the roasting but worth it i say, gave me time to make my bread and butter pudding while roasting in the oven =]