Recipe by RedVinoGirl
This is from Cooking Light's best of 2010. This was wonderful!!! I altered this recipe to my family's tastes. This is a drier dish the way I make it. If you want it saucier, decrease the pasta or increase the tomatoes. This is great with/without crushed red peppers!! FYI...ROMANO IS KEY IN THIS RECIPE!!!
- 1 lb whole wheat penne
- 1 lb Italian chicken sausage (spicy or hot!)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, vertically sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs tomatoes, chopped
- 6 tablespoons pecorino romano cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil (torn)
- crushed red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to direction, omitting fat and salt. Drain.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add oil to pan and add sausage and onions (and crushed red peppers, if using). Cook for 4 minutes, stirring to crumble sausage. Add garlic, cook 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in pasta, 2 tablespoons cheese, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and basil.