Recipe by LFay
This hearty sauce has a robust, complex flavor with a delicate after-taste. Well spiced, it stands up to pizza or livens any pasta dish.
Top Review by fishy:fishy
A great sauce!!! I was just looking for something to do with the bumper crop this year. A taste treat! The port is a must from now on in sauce around here. My family thanks you for posting this recipe. Easy to make. Bound to make one linger at the table.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, medium dice
- 10 ripe roma tomatoes or 3 dozen cherry tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped
- 2⁄3 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup fine port wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon black olive paste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄8 baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium sauce pan, heat garlic and sauté garlic.
- Add onion, sauté over low heat until golden (about 8 minutes).
- Add all other ingredients, stir, and heat to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Let cool and puree sauce with hand mixer if smoother sauce is desired.
- Delicious on pizza or pasta.