A lovely recipe to use your garden fresh tomatoes with! Adapted from Cook's Illustrated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed, halved, cored and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, lightly crushed
- 1 pinch saffron, crushed (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 slices orange peel (3-inch x1-inch)
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 lbs ripe round tomatoes, cored, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 1/4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1Heat 2 tbls. olive oil in a 10" skillet over medium high heat till shimmering.
- 2Add fennel and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned around the edges, 4-6 minutes.
- 3Add garlic, fennel seed, saffron(if using), pepper flakes, and orange peel; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 4Now stir in the tomatoes and cook till tomato pieces lose their shape to form a chunky sauce, about 10 minutes.
- 5Remove and discard orange peel. Stir in the orange juice, basil, salt, pepper, and sugar to taste.
- 6Toss the sauce and the remaining 2 tbls. olive oil with your favorite pasta and serve! Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Tomato Sauce With Fennel and Orange
Serving Size: 1 (428 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 207.7
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 193.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: