Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This recipe is from Frugal Gourmet. It freezes well.
Make and share this Fresh Tomato Sauce Sicilian recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 9 cups tomatoes, fresh,cored andchopped,very ripe
- 4 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes, crushed with juice
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Heat an 8- to 10-quart heavy-bottom pot and add the oil, garlic, and onion.
- Saute until the onion is clear.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the butter and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and gently cook, uncovered, for 4 hours, stirring often.
- Stir in the butter and salt and pepper to taste.
This is THE tomato sauce recipe. I think the combination of the butter and chicken stock is the reason it's so outstanding. I've used this sauce in lasagne, on pizza, and for pasta and found the recipe in The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Italian 1993. Thank you for posting this recipe!
I have made this sauce several times now. It is the BOMB!!!! Using homemade chicken stock raises it to a whole new level. (-: