5 hrs 15 mins
4 hrs 30 mins
Chef #336926's Note:
This recipe is a combination of three recipes I have used over the years and after some tweaking I think it is just about perfect. To make this sauce vegan just remove the ground meats.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 25 large firm ripe tomatoes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, fine chop
- 1 red onion, fine chop
- 1 red bell pepper, fine chop
- 1 yellow bell pepper, fine chop
- 1 orange bell pepper, fine chop
- 8 carrots, fine chop
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup basil, Chiffonade
- 1/3 cup oregano, Fresh
- 1/3 cup thyme, Fresh
- 12 ounces Burgundy wine
- 4 bay leaves
- 5 celery ribs, cut in half across
- 1 (15 5/8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 1Place a large pot on to boil.
- 2Fine chop the onions, peppers, garlic, carrots and shallots.
- 3Slice an "X" on the bottom of the tomatoes.
- 4Place tomatoes in boiling water for 1 minute.
- 5Remove tomatoes and place in ice bath.
- 6Peel and core tomatoes.
- 7Using a blender or processor, puree 20 tomatoes, set aside.
- 8Heat large stewing pot, add oil and saute the chopped product until tender, add pureed tomatoes.
- 9Rough chop the remaining tomatoes and add to pot.
- 10Add thyme, basil, oregano, Italian seasoning, and red wine to the pot and stir.
- 11Cut celery in half so you have ten pieces and add along with the bay leaves and stir.
- 12When sauce reaches a boil, reduce to simmer for 2.5 hours.
- 13Stir in tomato paste and ground meats.
- 14Return to simmer and for another 2 hours.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (310 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 25
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 194.1
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 25.4 mg
- Sodium 193.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 9.5 g