Prep 45 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
This recipe is a combination of three recipes I have used over the years and after some tweaking I think it is just about perfect. To make this sauce vegan just remove the ground meats.
- 25 large firm ripe tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, fine chop
- 1 red onion, fine chop
- 1 red bell pepper, fine chop
- 1 yellow bell pepper, fine chop
- 1 orange bell pepper, fine chop
- 8 carrots, fine chop
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup basil, Chiffonade
- 1⁄3 cup oregano, Fresh
- 1⁄3 cup thyme, Fresh
- 12 ounces Burgundy wine
- 4 bay leaves
- 5 celery ribs, cut in half across
- 1 (15 5/8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- Place a large pot on to boil.
- Fine chop the onions, peppers, garlic, carrots and shallots.
- Slice an "X" on the bottom of the tomatoes.
- Place tomatoes in boiling water for 1 minute.
- Remove tomatoes and place in ice bath.
- Peel and core tomatoes.
- Using a blender or processor, puree 20 tomatoes, set aside.
- Heat large stewing pot, add oil and saute the chopped product until tender, add pureed tomatoes.
- Rough chop the remaining tomatoes and add to pot.
- Add thyme, basil, oregano, Italian seasoning, and red wine to the pot and stir.
- Cut celery in half so you have ten pieces and add along with the bay leaves and stir.
- When sauce reaches a boil, reduce to simmer for 2.5 hours.
- Stir in tomato paste and ground meats.
- Return to simmer and for another 2 hours.