Recipe by MsSally
So I had a bunch of garden tomatoes to use up, but didn't want to can anything so I made a large batch of sauce in my crock pot. Really easy and tasty. If you choose to use fresh mushrooms, use 8 oz and saute with step 2. For vegetarian sauce, omit the hamburger and saute veggies in a 1 t olive oil before you put in with tomatoes.
- 2 quarts tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 (4 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 -6 tablespoons Italian spices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb hamburger
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Place tomatoes in colander and drain for about 20 minutes Place tomaotes only in large crock pot on high for 3 hours.
- Meanwhile brown hamburger, onions, peppers, garlic and (if using, fresh mushrooms). Drain and at the end of three hours, put this mixture in crock pot. Add seasonings, tomato paste and canned mushrooms. Turn to low and simmer for about 5 hours.
- Note if tomatoes are extra juicy, remove most of juice at the three hours. You can do this with a ladle.