Recipe by LLandrum
This is a fat free and low sodium alternative to jarred and traditional tomato based sauces. It is so good, you don't realize it's actually healthy! It's great on my Summer Pasta Primavera too!
- 5 -6 medium tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice tomatoes. (you can blanch and remove skins first if desired).
- Chop and seed green pepper (if desired).
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes.
- If you prefer a smoother sauce, pour into a food processor and blend.