Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the sauce I use with my Family Favorite Basic Meatballs (recipe posted separately) to make meatball subs.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced (I typically increase this to a tablespoon since I love garlicky pasta sauce)
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans plum tomatoes, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup reserved meatball pan dripping (meatball recipe posted separately)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt (to taste)
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large dutch oven or similar pan.
- Saute onions in oil for approximately 4 minutes, or until translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, pan drippings, parsley, sugar, red pepper flakes. Salt to taste.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- If you are using meatballs with the sauce, add the cooked meatballs after the 15 minutes and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
This sauce is wonderful! Made with Recipe #124958 for Recipe #124902. Thanks for sharing. Made for Spring PAC 2014.
Delicious, family loved this sauce, served it with recipe #124958 #124958 by Muffin Goddess. A keeper. Thank You! Made for ZWT7~Emerald City Shakers
The best tomato sauce I have ever made! I used this as the sauce in a turkey and vegetable lasagna and I've decided this will be my go to tomato sauce recipe from now on! I left mine to simmer a bit longer and it was nice and thick. I loved the chunks in mine, but I'm sure it would be easy to use an immersion blender if you prefer a smoother sauce. Since I wasn't making the meatballs, I browned the turkey meat from the recipe in the pot and then used the pan drippings and additional olive oil to saute the onions. Thank you Muffin, we loved this! Made for Pac 2011