1/2 Photos of Fresh Tomato Sauce
Muffin Goddess's Note:
This is the sauce I use with my Family Favorite Basic Meatballs (recipe posted separately) to make meatball subs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups onions, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced (I typically increase this to a tablespoon since I love garlicky pasta sauce)
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans plum tomatoes, crushed
- 1/2 cup reserved meatball pan dripping (meatball recipe posted separately)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt (to taste)
- 1Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large dutch oven or similar pan.
- 2Saute onions in oil for approximately 4 minutes, or until translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- 3Add the tomatoes, pan drippings, parsley, sugar, red pepper flakes. Salt to taste.
- 4Simmer for 15 minutes.
- 5If you are using meatballs with the sauce, add the cooked meatballs after the 15 minutes and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (264 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.8
- Calories from Fat 128
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 22.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 14.0 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: