This is the sauce I use with my Family Favorite Basic Meatballs (recipe posted separately) to make meatball subs.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced (I typically increase this to a tablespoon since I love garlicky pasta sauce)
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans plum tomatoes, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup reserved meatball pan dripping (meatball recipe posted separately)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt (to taste)
- Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large dutch oven or similar pan.
- Saute onions in oil for approximately 4 minutes, or until translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, pan drippings, parsley, sugar, red pepper flakes. Salt to taste.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- If you are using meatballs with the sauce, add the cooked meatballs after the 15 minutes and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.