- 1 1⁄2 lbs plum tomatoes, cored, halved, and seeded (6-8)
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, minced (1/2 cup)
- 1 jalapenos (ribs and seeds removed for less heat, if desired) or 1 serrano chili, minced (ribs and seeds removed for less heat, if desired)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 1 lime)
- coarse salt
- tortilla chips, for serving (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop tomatoes into 1/4-inch pieces; transfer to a small bowl. Add onion, chile, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice. Season with salt.
- Mix well to combine. Let stand 15 minutes to develop flavor. Salsa can be kept at room temperature up to 2 hours. To store, transfer to an airtight container, and refrigerate up to 3 days. Serve with tortilla chips, if desired.