Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a summer salad because good fresh tomatoes are a must. This is the way my grandma made it except I add the basil. I love the feta cheese in this, so I often add more. Be sure to have some nice French or Italian bread to dip in the juices. Also, my grandma always swore by using Lawry's seasoned salt for this, so I have never done it any other way!
- 10 medium plum tomatoes, halved and sliced
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced very thin
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 lb feta cheese, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- Mix the tomatoes and onion in a large bowl; stir in olive oil.
- Add oregano, basil and Lawry's seasoned salt (to taste); gently mix in feta cheese.
- Pour water into bowl; pick up bowl and move in a shaking swirling motion to mix in water.
- Cover and chill 1-2 hours. Stir before serving.
It might be a summer salad, but I had to make it right now with the organic plum tomatoes that I'd bought the other day, & although I'll admit that there's nothing (when it comes to tomatoes) like absolutely fresh & home-grown, I worked with what I had when I made a half-batch of this & the resulting salad was most satisfying! Served it along side some freshly made recipe #413927! [Made & reviewed in Bargain Basement tag]