Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
We love summer tomatoes and I came up with this recipe with ingredients on hand, I now make it all the time. Its best made with home grown tomatoes and real parmesan cheese ( not the kind in a container)
- 4 large summer tomatoes
- 1⁄2 red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 6 basil leaves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- In a shallow serving dish, arrange the tomatoes and onions, alternating them in a spiral, scatter the garlic over the top, followed by the basil, pine nuts and cheese.Pour over the olive oil and season with pepper. Let stand at room temp for an hour before serving to allow the flavors to meld.
- Accompany with Italian bread to mop up the juices.
I've made something similar, but without the pine nuts. It's a great summer salad.
I thought this was wonderful. I made them in layers with vidalia onions (didn't have red onions) and very FRESH tomatos. Next time I will add garlic, basil and cheese between the layers and drizzle with olive oil on top. Thanks fora wonderful summer dish!