Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
- 4 lbs fresh tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cups red onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- Use fully ripened fresh tomatoes; core and chop coarsely.
- In a saucepan, bring vinegar to a simmer.
- Add onions and garlic; simmer until softened, 3 to 5 minutes; cool.
- In a bowl, gently combine tomatoes with basil, cumin, coriander, mustard, salt, pepper and olive oil; stir in onion mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve over grilled fish, asparagus, baked potatoes, black bean cakes, or other fish, poultry and vegetables.