Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a wonderful sauce to make with fresh home grown tomatoes. I freeze this after its made for use as a quick and easy pasta meal. This sauce even tastes better the next day! It is the perfect way to use an abundance of tomotoes!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion (large)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 kg medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, cook the onion and garlic together, stiriing until the onion is soft. Add the tomatoes, salt and wine and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients, simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until thickened. Remove bay leaves from sauce.
- When cooled refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Use sauce as desired.
Another winner Tis-this is great. I bought a 10kg box of tomatoes recently with plans to make this the moment I saw any getting past their best (which is their best for sauce like this!). I am in a remote area of Australia and must make do at times-I had to used dried basil and oregano (which I prefer over fresh often) but had parsley on hand. I don't think this altered the outcome very much and anyway, I'm thrilled with the result. I'll be freezing this and using at a later date with prawns, yabbies (crawfish), bacon and chillies to make a few different pasta sauces.
I thought this was an easy sauce to make with an abundance of tomatoes gifted to me by my neighbor. I doubled the garlic. I had trouble with getting my sauce to thicken to the nice consistency as in the picture. I ended up adding more tomato paste and cooking a lot longer than the recipe specified. The taste was good and my friend and I enjoyed over spinach fettucine.
Made this as a special gift for my vegetarian son & DIL, but did manage to keep about 1/3 of is for us here at home! My usual homemade sauce has Italian sausage in it, so this was a nice change of pace for everyone! So easy to make & so very flavorful, too! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I'll definitely be making it again, & freezing some of it, too! [Made & reviewed in I Recommend recipe tag]