This is a wonderful sauce to make with fresh home grown tomatoes. I freeze this after its made for use as a quick and easy pasta meal. This sauce even tastes better the next day! It is the perfect way to use an abundance of tomotoes!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion (large)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 kg medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, cook the onion and garlic together, stiriing until the onion is soft. Add the tomatoes, salt and wine and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients, simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or until thickened. Remove bay leaves from sauce.
- When cooled refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Use sauce as desired.