Recipe by AmandaInOz
From Bill Granger's "Bill's Sydney Food." Time does not include 30 minutes draining time for the tomatoes or 20 minutes marinating time for the sauce.
Top Review by Chef Buggsy Mate
Made this for dinner for the kids and I tonight and every one voted 5 stars! DH did not have any as we recently found out he is gluten intolerant and we have yet to find a gluten free pasta we like. Anyway I did alter the recipe slightly...I skipped steps 1 and 2 and just used fresh raw Roma tomatoes in the recipe (skin, seeds and all). It worked absolutely fine! We will definitely have this often when we are in the mood for pasta. And it will definitely go in my Company's Coming file! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe.
- 2 lbs vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red chili pepper, finely chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 10 ounces spaghetti
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, lightly packed
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Score a cross in the base of each tomato. Place tomatoes in a large bowl, and pour boiling water over them.
- Drain after 10 seconds, and pull the skin away from the cross. Halve the tomatoes, and press each half to squeeze our seeds and excess juice.
- Chop tomato flesh roughly. Place in a sieve over a bowl, and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Leave to drain for half an hour.
- Place drained tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice and zest, garlic, chilli and pepper in a bowl. Stir. Leave for 20 minutes for flavours to combine.
- Cook the spaghetti in rapidly boiling, salted water according to package directions.
- Drain well. Toss through tomato mixture and basil.
- Serve with freshly shaved Parmigiano Reggiano.