Top Review by jahot
I wanted a tomato sauce made with fresh tomatoes and am so happy I chose this recipe. It was delicious!!! I think my Italian mother would have loved it. I served it over meat & cheese manicotti. I made two casseroles, one for my husband and I and another for my daughter and family. There were no leftovers. Thanks Potluck for a wonderful marinara sauce.
- 5 1⁄2 lbs tomatoes
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel tomatoes and process smooth.
- Sauté garlic in large pot in olive oil.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally.
- This recipe is approx yield of 80 oz.
- If canning use canning salt otherwise this freezes nicely. I store in 20 oz containers.