Cook1 hr 30 mins
I had a lot of tomatoes this year and after trying other marinara sauces, I came up with this one. We like a little spicy. You can also use canned tomatoes for this recipe. Try this sauce with Olive Garden Neapolitan Ziti--it's wonderful.
- 5 1⁄2 lbs tomatoes
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- Peel tomatoes and process smooth.
- Sauté garlic in large pot in olive oil.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally.
- This recipe is approx yield of 80 oz.
- If canning use canning salt otherwise this freezes nicely. I store in 20 oz containers.