Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I had a lot of tomatoes this year and after trying other marinara sauces, I came up with this one. We like a little spicy. You can also use canned tomatoes for this recipe. Try this sauce with Olive Garden Neapolitan Ziti--it's wonderful.
- 5 1⁄2 lbs tomatoes
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- Peel tomatoes and process smooth.
- Sauté garlic in large pot in olive oil.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Stir occasionally.
- This recipe is approx yield of 80 oz.
- If canning use canning salt otherwise this freezes nicely. I store in 20 oz containers.
I wanted a tomato sauce made with fresh tomatoes and am so happy I chose this recipe. It was delicious!!! I think my Italian mother would have loved it. I served it over meat & cheese manicotti. I made two casseroles, one for my husband and I and another for my daughter and family. There were no leftovers. Thanks Potluck for a wonderful marinara sauce.
This is excellent. My husband wanted to get a straw and slurp it up. I pointed out to him that it was too thick for a straw! My sauce was not watery at all. I followed the recipe exactly, well almost, I did not skin the tomatoes. I think because I used a very wide pan (13" diameter) more liquid evaporated. My food processor did a great job. Do not waste your time peeling the tomatoes.
I found this recipe 3 weeks ago. I realize it is from 2007, but this recipe deserves 10 stars. I usually don't follow recipes exactly the way they are written, but decided to do so with this one. I also never write reviews, but I just had to this time. I had an abundance of home-grown tomatoes, so I've been able to made 3 batches of this sauce. It is absolutely THE best marinara sauce I have ever tasted. I froze the sauce rather than canning it. I left out the red pepper flakes because I can't eat anything spicy or hot, and it was sweet and thick. Do yourself a huge favor.....make this sauce.