Recipe by Sassy Syrah
This is a really quick quick dish. It does benefit from a long marinade but can cope without it. I like the pantry aspect of it, in that I almost always have all of the ingredients required.
Top Review by Barb G.
Very, very good, I cut the recipe down for 2 prople, Also used a can of stewed tomatoes and add a little of the spices especially cumim and bay leaf, as the stewed tomatoes has a lot of the spices already in them. I used monterey Jack cheese this was very good.
- 8 chicken breasts
- 5 fresh tomatoes, diced or 1 (800 g) can tomatoes, drained and flesh diced
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- ground pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup grated low-fat cheese (I prefer tasty)
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange chicken in an ovenproof dish.
- They should not overlap.
- In a bowl combine everything else but the cheese.
- Mix well.
- Cover the chicken with the mixture.
- Cover with foil.
- Leave this until you want it, it works well if you do it in the morning but it is not necessary.
- Bake at 180C for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 15 minutes.
- The cheese does not need to brown unless you really want it to, I like it just oozy.
- Serve one breast per person on rice or pasta or couscous.
- Even mashed potato could be nice although I've never tried it.