Recipe by Anu
Another fabulous recipe from www.meals.com. Use fresh, ripe tomatoes for a full flavour. This low-cal, heartwarming soup is great served with freshly toasted crusty bread.
Top Review by dollyronda
This was excellent and easy to make. I added chopped celery and some chopped summer summer squash. I did not puree the whole thing. We like a little chew to our soups. I did not remove the seeds either.You do not even notice them.
- 8 ripe plum tomatoes (drained) or 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes (drained)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups milk (for Vegan version) or 2 cups skim milk (for Vegan version) or 2 cups 1% low-fat milk (for Vegan version) or 2 cups soymilk (for Vegan version)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot of boiling water, blanch the ripe tomatoes for 10 seconds.
- Transfer to colander; cool slightly and peel off skin.
- Cut tomatoes in half; remove seeds and chop.
- In a medium saucepan, cook the onion in olive oil over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook uncovered over medium heat for 20 minutes (If using canned tomatoes, decrease cooking time to 10 minutes).
- Spoon 3/4 of mixture into food processor or blender container; puree until smooth.
- Return to saucepan, and add red pepper, basil and milk to the soup.
- Heat until hot but do not boil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the soup into two warm bowls and serve immediately.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves, if desired.
- As stated use only the soy milk for the Vegan version.