This tart is really a fresh salad -- the only thing cooked about it is the crust and the zucchini topping. It is a lovely presentation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 2/3 cup kalamata olive, pitted,coarsely chopped
- 4 teaspoons anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 2 small zucchini, shredded on the large holes of a box grater (about 1 ½ cups)
- fresh basil leaf (to garnish)
- 1Make the pastry: Blend the cream cheese and the butter.
- 2Add the flour and salt and mix just until the dough starts to form a ball.
- 3Sprinkle the chives on a work surface.
- 4Turn out the dough and knead lightly until the chives are incorporated.
- 5Pat the dough into a disc about ½ inch thick.
- 6Wrap and refrigerate for atleast 30 minutes and up to 1 day.
- 7Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature to soften slightly.
- 8On a well-floured work surface, roll the dough into a 13 to 14 inch round.
- 9Roll the pastry onto the rolling pin and gently unroll it over an 11 inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom.
- 10Fit the dough evenly into the pan without stretching.
- 11Trim the overhanging dough to 1 inch from the rim.
- 12Fold the excess dough over and press it into the side of the pan.
- 13Refrigerate for 20 minutes, or until firm.
- 14Preheat the oven to 400F.
- 15Line the chilled tart shell with foil and weigh down with pie weights or dried beans.
- 16Bake for 15 minutes.
- 17Remove foil and weights and bake 10 minutes longer, or until just set and golden.
- 18Transfer to a rack to cool completely; then remove the fluted rim and place the shell on a serving platter.
- 19Prepare the filling: In a medium bowl, stir together the olives, anchovies and capers.
- 20Spread the mixture evenly over the bottom of the baked shell.
- 21Starting at the edge, layer the tomato slices in overlapping, concentric circles.
- 22Season generously with lots of freshly-ground black pepper and salt.
- 23Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet.
- 24Add the garlic and stir, over medium-high heat, for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- 25Add the zucchini, season with salt and pepper and stir until softened slightly, about 1 minute.
- 26Spoon the zucchini over the tomatoes and garnish with fresh basil leaves.
- 27Serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Tomato and Zucchini Tart
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.8
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 46.0 mg
- Sodium 296.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 4.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: