Prep 25 mins
Cook 18 mins
This tart is really a fresh salad -- the only thing cooked about it is the crust and the zucchini topping. It is a lovely presentation.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 2⁄3 cup kalamata olive, pitted,coarsely chopped
- 4 teaspoons anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 2 small zucchini, shredded on the large holes of a box grater (about 1 ½ cups)
- fresh basil leaf (to garnish)
- Make the pastry: Blend the cream cheese and the butter.
- Add the flour and salt and mix just until the dough starts to form a ball.
- Sprinkle the chives on a work surface.
- Turn out the dough and knead lightly until the chives are incorporated.
- Pat the dough into a disc about ½ inch thick.
- Wrap and refrigerate for atleast 30 minutes and up to 1 day.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature to soften slightly.
- On a well-floured work surface, roll the dough into a 13 to 14 inch round.
- Roll the pastry onto the rolling pin and gently unroll it over an 11 inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Fit the dough evenly into the pan without stretching.
- Trim the overhanging dough to 1 inch from the rim.
- Fold the excess dough over and press it into the side of the pan.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes, or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Line the chilled tart shell with foil and weigh down with pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and weights and bake 10 minutes longer, or until just set and golden.
- Transfer to a rack to cool completely; then remove the fluted rim and place the shell on a serving platter.
- Prepare the filling: In a medium bowl, stir together the olives, anchovies and capers.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the bottom of the baked shell.
- Starting at the edge, layer the tomato slices in overlapping, concentric circles.
- Season generously with lots of freshly-ground black pepper and salt.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet.
- Add the garlic and stir, over medium-high heat, for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add the zucchini, season with salt and pepper and stir until softened slightly, about 1 minute.
- Spoon the zucchini over the tomatoes and garnish with fresh basil leaves.
- Serve at room temperature.
YUMMMMM! this is delicious! I was going to use my own recipe for the pastry but decided to try this one, I only chilled it for about 1-1/2 hours and it was really quite easy to work with, I also added in a couple teaspoons of sugar to the pastry (just personal preference). I incresed the anchovies, capers and garlic quite a bit, and also topped the tart with Parmesan cheese before baking. thanks Ev!...Kitten:)