Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this recipe from a local website. I've changed it a bit, but it's really good and refreshing. NOTE: if you don't have good fresh tomatoes, use a 2 lb. can
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 fresh fennel bulb, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup white wine (or lemon juice)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, finely chopped
- 4 cups peeled and finely chopped tomatoes, and the juice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped basil (to garnish) or 1⁄2 cup fennel leaves (to garnish)
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat, then add the onion, fennel and garlic. Cover and cook gently for about 10 minutes.
- Pour in the wine (or lemon juice), and basil.
- Bring to boil, then back off the heat and lower temperature to simmer. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and stock. Return to boil, then lower heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, partially covered.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle into bowls, and top with the chopped basil and fennel fronds.