Recipe by Wu & Newt
A classic 3-bean salad using fresh green and wax beans. I use Westbreae Organic Salad Beans instead of just kidney beans for the canned beans. It is a mix of kidney, pinto and garbanzo beans. I guess that makes this a 5 bean salad... I suggest eating this on the same day. This is still tasty the next day, but the color of the green beans will change over time. Please note that the cooking time includes the 1 hour of marinating.
- 1⁄2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans or 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces green beans
- 8 ounces wax beans
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- If you like less sharp onions, soak onion in cold water for 10 minutes, then drain and pat dry.
- Add onions and canned beans to serving bowl.
- Cook green and wax beans in a pan of generously salted water until tender-crisp, about 4-5 minutes. Drain beans and plunge into an ice bath. Drain beans and pat dry. Add cooked beans to serving bowl with onion and canned beans.
- Heat vinegar, sugar, oil and salt to a boil in a small saucepan until sugar is dissolved. Pour over beans and onions. Let marinate for 1 hour at room temperature, tossing occasionally.
- Add parsley and season to taste just before serving.