Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Perfect for topping cheesecake, cream cheese pies, or pound cake (featured in my photo is Fresh Strawberry Topping). From Fine Cooking, Spring 2002.
- 907.18 g strawberries, cleaned, hulled, and cut lengthwise into 1/4-to 1/8-inch slices
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 0.25 ml salt
- 236.59 ml strawberry jam (about 11 ounces)
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- Toss berries with sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Let them stand for about 30 minutes to dissolve sugar, tossing occasionally.
- Meanwhile, process jam in food processor until smooth; transfer to small saucepan. Bring jam to simmer over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently until dark and no longer frothy, about 3 minutes. Stir in lemon juice; pour over strawberries and stir to combine. Let cool, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours or up to 12 hours.
- To serve, spoon a portion of topping over each slice of cheesecake, poundcake or scoop of vanilla ice cream!
I just used the recipe minus the jam and it still tasted great. I even threw in some blueberries I had on hand and served on top of pound cake--if you need a perfect pond cake recipe use the Fannie Farmer one. Comes out great every time!
This is wonderful! In the middle of making this wonderful topping, I realized I didn't have a jar of strawberry jam on hand. I did recall having some freezer jam in the freezer (Freezer Strawberry Jam) which I used and it worked beautifully!! This works perfectly with Sharlene's Almond Pound Cake! I highly recommend it for topping cakes, pudding, or ice cream! Delicious! Thank you, Sharlene : )