From the blog onceuponatomato.com. Experiment with other berries (raspberries, blackberries, for exmaple) or a combination of berries. The food.com site does not recognize the ingredient Trader Joe's 'Orange MUSCAT Champagne Vinegar' which was used in this recipe (I also doubled the amount called for, too from the original recipe). 'Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar' is one of my staple items I purchase at Trader Joe's. Also, if you are using the vinegar, for my first batch I added two teaspoons of freshly grated orange zest and it was stirred into the sorbet with the syrup. Don't have a Trader Joe's in your neighborhood? Substitute 2 tablespoons champagne, muscat/muscat vinegar, or white wine plus 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons orange muscat champagne vinegar (Orange MUSCAT Champagne Vinegar and please read recipe intro) or 2 tablespoons grated zest and juice of one oranges (read recipe intro)
- 2/3 cup sugar (you may be able to use less depending on how sweet the berries are)
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, rinsed and dried
- 1Combine vinegar (or orange juice) and sugar in a small saucepan.
- 2Bring mixture to a boil and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and cool.
- 3Rinse berries in a colander and lay out on a lint-free towel or paper towel to dry. <<<---I used a baker's flour sack towel. Discard any berries that are rotten or going bad.
- 4Cap the leaves, quarter the berries and then puree them in a food processor. Stir in the syrup and orange zest.
- 5Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manual directions. *Note: the original directions did not indicate to chill the mixture first in the refrigerator then process in the ice cream maker. I did not chill the strawberry mixture and churned it for about 40 minutes. Next time I prepare the sorbet, I will chill first and come back here to update.
- 6Finally, I transferred the sorbet to a freezer container and froze for about 4 hours.
- 7To serve: Garnish each serving with mint (or other fresh herb of choice) or a fresh whole berry.
- 8Note: Prep time can vary.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Strawberry Sorbet With Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar
Serving Size: 1 (709 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 700.5
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 177.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.5 g
- Sugars 161.3 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: