Recipe by evelyn/athens
This is always the first thing I make when truly seasonal strawberries hit the market stands - I won't buy strawberries any other time, and I wouldn't make this pie with anything but the most aromatic berries.
Top Review by Hey Jude
This is a wonderful pie. I made this exactly as written except that I didn't make the whipped cream (not enough room in my kitchen for the mixer) I used store bought whipped cream. I'm sure it's even better with the homemade. Thanks Ev, another keeper!
- 1 (10 inch) pie crusts
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 2 1⁄2 pints strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup well-chilled heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Roll out dough 1/8 inch thick on a lightly-floured surface; fit it into a 10 inch glass pie plate, crimping edge decoratively.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Prick pastry lightly with a fork, line with foil and weight with dry beans or pie weights.
- Preheat oven to 375F and bake crust for 10 minutes, remove beans and foil, sprinkle bottom with almonds, and bake 10-12 minutes more, or until almonds are golden.
- Let cool.
- Hull and slice 1 pint of the strawberries and in a saucepan, combine them with ¼ cup water and sugar.
- Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved, and simmer 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and ¾ cup water, add to cooked strawberries and bring to a boil.
- Simmer, stirring, for 3-5 minutes, or until thickened, and stir in lemon juice.
- Hull remaining 1 ½ pints strawberries, arrange in pie shell, and pour cooked strawberry mixture over.
- Chill pie for 3-4 hours or until set.
- In a chilled bowl, beat cream, vanilla extract and icing sugar until it holds soft peaks and serve with pie.