Recipe by tinebean21
I got this recipe from a magazine (Relish) that came with my local paper. Sounds like a great way to use fresh strawberries!
Top Review by Muffin Goddess
I love this pie! I definitely needed more than 42 vanilla wafers to get 1 1/2 cups of crumbs (I didn't count out the extras, but I'm guessing it was about 60 total, less than one whole box either way). I wasn't paying enough attention, so I added the whole amount of vanilla to the crust, then realized when I was making the glaze that I was only supposed to add 1/2 tsp. to the crust. Oh well, I just added 1/2 tsp to the glaze part because I was afraid that 1 1/2 tsp in both parts would be too much (maybe not, but I didn't want to take the chance and ruin the pie). Everything tasted just fine in the end, though. I had to cut my strawberries in half for the last step, because even my smallest berries were pretty big (I used the really enormous ones for the glaze part). I got a good photo of the uncut pie (I'll post that once I have time to figure out the camera size settings), but I found that the cut pieces kind of fell apart and plated out more like a crisp than a cohesive slice of pie, so I didn't snap the sliced pie. No matter, though -- it tasted wonderful no matter what shape it was in on the plate! Beautiful color, too -- very visually appealing. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring '10
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely crushed vanilla wafers (about 42)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 8 cups hulled strawberries, divided (small works best)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- whipped cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine cookie crumbs, sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla and butter and press into a 9-inch pie dish.
- Bake 10 minutes or until set and barely beginning to brown. Let cool.
- Slice 2 cups strawberries.
- Combine strawberries with 2 tablespoons water in a saucepan and bring to a boil while mashing strawberries, cook 2 minutes.
- Push strawberries through a sieve with a spoon and discard any solids that remain.
- Measure juice and add water to equal 1 cup.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Gradually whisk in strawberry juice and lemon juice. Cook over med. heat until thickened. Boil 1 minute Remove from heat and stir in remaining vanilla.
- Place 1/3 of remaining berries in pie shell; drizzle with 1/3 of glaze.
- Repeat twice.
- Chill 2 hours or until set.
- Serve cold with whipped cream, if using.