Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- Stir the dry ingredients together.
- Add milk, egg and shortening.
- Stir in strawberries being careful not to over-mix.
- Bake in a well-greased muffin pan at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
I used fresh strawberries, maybe I thats were I went wrong? But I followed the recipe and the muffins were bitter to my sweet tooth. They look as if they were too perfect to eat, but one bite made me feel that they were just eye candy. Didnt like this recipe, too much. Maybe better on the next one.
I hate to say it but these muffins were awful. I made the mistake of taking them untested to a family gathering and had to apologize to my family when I noticed that they weren't swallowing their bites. They I advise against them. Sorry.
Well this muffin recipe turned out good for me. I only had to make a small change and that was adding frozen strawberries. They were not frozen long so they still seemed so fresh. I think I ended up with closer to 1 cup though. I didn't want to throw the remainder away so I used them all.When I make them again I may reduce the amount of baking powder. Thanks Char.