This is a great recipe for muffins using fresh strawberries. It is a bit different from the other strawberry muffin recipes posted as it uses whole wheat flour, buttermilk and almond extract. These are really good warm from the oven for a special breakfast/brunch. As usual, I have modified the original to use sugar and egg substitutes and whole wheat flour. My family loves these and asks for them often in the summer when strawberries are in season.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar substitute
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, backing soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl beat together eggs substitute, almond extract, buttermilk and canola oil.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Gently fold in the strawberries.
- Fill prepared mussin tins about 2/3 full.
- Top with cinnamon/sugar mmixture.
- Bake 15 mminutes or until tester comes out clean.