Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
A fresh and light strawberry dessert. Looks so impressive, but only you will know how easy it is to make! Originally from a local Methodist church cookbook.Prep time does not include chilling time.
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt with 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla in a large bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer until partially stiff.
- Add sugar gradually, beating until stiff.
- Spread meringue about 1 inch thick over a buttered 9 inch pie plate, building up a high fluffy border.
- Bake in a preheated 275 degree oven for 1 hour or until it feels dry and firm.
- Meringue shell will crack while it's baking.
- Let cool in plate.
- Cream 2 cups powdered sugar,butter, and egg yolks until light and fluffy, then beat in lemon juice and peel.
- Spread over meringue shell.
- Wash, drain, and hull strawberries,reserving a few for garnish. Arrange berries over over creamy layer,pressing down lightly.
- Whip cream,remaining powdered sugar,unflavored gelatin, and remaining vanilla until stiff; spread over berries.
- Chill in refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- Garnish with reserved berries and serve.