Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is always a huge hit in the summertime.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups strawberries, crushed
- red food coloring
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over ¼ cold water; stir to dissolve over low heat. Beat egg yolks; stir in cream, ¾ sugar, salt, dissolved gelatin and crushed strawberries. Tint pink with red food coloring if desired. Mix well.
- Pour into 2 freezer trays or a metal cake pan.
- Freeze until nearly firm. Turn mixture into mixing bowl and beat until almost smooth. Beat egg whites into soft peaks; gradually add 2 tbsp sugar, beating into stiff peaks. Gently fold egg mixture into strawberry mixture, mixing thoroughly.
- Return to freezer trays.
- Freeze until firm.