Delicious way to use up all those strawberries you need to buy for this!! As a note: I've not made this yet. Several reviewers mentioned that the sauce was too thin, so you might want to read their suggestions prior to making the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Rinse and hull berries.
- Place berries in a 9” square pan and set aside.
- Combine flour, 1/2 Cup sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Use a pastry blender or two knives to cut in margarine until coarse crumbs form.
- Stir in milk.
- Spoon the mixture over the berries.
- Combine the remaining 3/4 Cup sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl.
- Stir in water until sugar mixture dissolves.
- Pour over berry mixture.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve warm or cool, garnished with additional berries.
My son said he wasn't hungry when I offered him some of this dish along with some vanilla ice cream. After taking one bite of his teeny-sized portion, he put down his spoon and declared "must have more!" Everyone in our house loves this. Thank you for sharing!
This was pretty good - I made it for company tonight and everyone seemed to like it. However, I felt it was missing something...maybe it was the ice cream that others suggested! I did reduce the water in the sauce by about half, as suggested by others, and I think that was a wise move.
This was wonderful! I made it with a 1/2 cup of water as suggested in another review and the sauce was the perfect consistency. The filling was like warm strawberry jam, so the sweetness was a little overwhelming when eaten with vanilla ice cream. I'll be making this again soon and will use less sugar with the water & cornstarch, just to see what that would be like. Thank you so much for sharing!