Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Great way to use fresh strawberries.
Top Review by FruitLoop
This topped off our day of gorging for the 4th of July. Our fresh berries were so juicy and sweet. This really was an easy, delicious way to enjoy them. I spooned a little Cool Whip on top of each serving. Highlight to a day of feasting. Thanks.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, cut in half lengthwise
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, chilled
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat 1/4 cup softened butter at medium speed with an electric mixer; gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, beating well.
- Add egg and vanilla, beating well.
- Combine 1 1/4 cup flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Spoon mixture into a greased 8-inch square baking dish.
- Arrange strawberries on top, cut side down.
- Combine 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup sugar; cut in 1/4 cup chilled butter with pastry blender until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over strawberries.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.