Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I make this cake at least once every summer, when fresh strawberries are in season. It's delicious! I found the recipe in a cook book titled, "A World of Baking".
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup fresh crushed strawberry, unsweetened
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup crushed strawberry
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- FOR CAKE: Sift together: flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, combine butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Beat for a total of 3 minutes, scrapping the sides of the bowl.
- Then add flour mixture to creamed mixture, alternating with strawberries.
- Beat for two minutes.
- Pour batter into two 8-inch round greased and floured cake pans.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Turn out on to wire cooling racks to cool.
- When cool, top with Strawberry Glaze.
- FOR STRAWBERRY GLAZE: Mix together all ingredients.
- Use enough strawberries to thin mixture.
This is the BEST strawberry cake recipe! Everyone loved it! I increased powdered sugar in glaze to a more frosting consistency--delicious!
Amazing!!! I have made this twice to rave reviews. Thank you so much for sharing! I made it first exactly as directed and the second time did some tweaking. I too decreased the sugar to 1 1/2 c. instead of 1 1/2. Also to make it a bit fluffier, I increased the baking powder to 3 tsp. I also separated the egg yolks and whites. I added the yolks in step 3 (also added about 2 T water), then in a separate bowl, I beat the whites and folded them in gently at step 6, instead of beating for 2 minutes. THis did make the cakes a little fluffier. I used Whipped Cream Cream Cheese Frosting for the filling between the cakes and topped with the glaze. Absolutely my new favorite cake!!!
Now this is some cake. My Mee-Maw used to make this. I am very happy to have found the recipe. I made this for Labor Day and it was such a hit. The fresh berries make this out of this world. Very rich and sweet. The cake was also nice and moist. Thanks for posting.