Recipe by scfl76
Another gem from my mom's former co-worker, the Domestic Goddess! Frozen strawberries do not work in this recipe.
Top Review by Chef Tracidee
I ended up turning this into a trifle. I baked it as a sheet cake and then as I put the glass pan on the stove top it shattered. I was able to save the majority of the cake but it wasn't in one piece. The other problem I had wasn't due to the recipe was that I was taking this to a party and didn't have a cake plate big enough. So the trifle bowl had to do. I did increase the amount of strawberries to nearly 8 cups.
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 (16 ounce) box powdered sugar
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 16 ounces Cool Whip
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cake mix, eggs, sugar, water, canola oil, and 8 oz sour cream. Bake in three layers at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until done.
- Combine powdered sugar and 16 oz sour cream. (Do not use mixer.) Fold in Cool Whip, then strawberries.
- Use strawberry mixture as both filling and frosting.
- Store in refrigerator.