Recipe by Misa
A recipe from Cooking with the Noonday Chef 3 by Walter Lambert. Chef Walter, as he is known on a local news program, featured this recipe on his cooking segment. Produces a moist, dense loaf. The preparation time does not include time for the strawberries to sit in the refrigerator.
- 236.59 ml strawberry, sliced
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml salt
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil (or canola)
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, place the sliced strawberries. Sprinkle the slices with the 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight. This will create a nice syrup with the berries.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Blend together the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the oil, vanilla, eggs, strawberry slices and its syrup. Dump the strawberry mixture into the flour mixture, and mix just until blended.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan (9 inches x 5 inches) and bake for approximately 50 minutes.
- HINTS: This bread is lovely with cream cheese. Egg substitute (like Egg Beaters) can be used instead of the eggs - just make sure you use the equivalent of 2 eggs. Chef Walter suggests variations of adding 1 1/2 cup chopped pecans or a bit of cinnamon to the batter, if you like.