A recipe from Cooking with the Noonday Chef 3 by Walter Lambert. Chef Walter, as he is known on a local news program, featured this recipe on his cooking segment. Produces a moist, dense loaf. The preparation time does not include time for the strawberries to sit in the refrigerator.
- In a bowl, place the sliced strawberries. Sprinkle the slices with the 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight. This will create a nice syrup with the berries.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Blend together the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the oil, vanilla, eggs, strawberry slices and its syrup. Dump the strawberry mixture into the flour mixture, and mix just until blended.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan (9 inches x 5 inches) and bake for approximately 50 minutes.
- HINTS: This bread is lovely with cream cheese. Egg substitute (like Egg Beaters) can be used instead of the eggs - just make sure you use the equivalent of 2 eggs. Chef Walter suggests variations of adding 1 1/2 cup chopped pecans or a bit of cinnamon to the batter, if you like.