Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
A recipe from Cooking with the Noonday Chef 3 by Walter Lambert. Chef Walter, as he is known on a local news program, featured this recipe on his cooking segment. Produces a moist, dense loaf. The preparation time does not include time for the strawberries to sit in the refrigerator.
- 1 cup strawberry, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (or canola)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- In a bowl, place the sliced strawberries. Sprinkle the slices with the 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight. This will create a nice syrup with the berries.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Blend together the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the oil, vanilla, eggs, strawberry slices and its syrup. Dump the strawberry mixture into the flour mixture, and mix just until blended.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan (9 inches x 5 inches) and bake for approximately 50 minutes.
- HINTS: This bread is lovely with cream cheese. Egg substitute (like Egg Beaters) can be used instead of the eggs - just make sure you use the equivalent of 2 eggs. Chef Walter suggests variations of adding 1 1/2 cup chopped pecans or a bit of cinnamon to the batter, if you like.
Love the idea of starting with strawberries and 2T sugar overnite. I want to try with peaches next time. I cut back a little on sugar & oil for my own preference. Thanks!
Very nice and simple recipe! The strawberries I had were not very tasty so I decided to bake something with them rather than toss them out. I used a bit more than 1 cup of strawberries (almost 2 cups). I added 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to the dry ingredients, which I will increase the next time I make this. Overall this recipe was extremely moist and delicious and I will make this again in a heartbeat. Hopefully I'll have better strawberries to work with in the future.
This is one of the best fruit based breads I've ever had! I baked 2 loaves. The first one I made as is. The second one I tossed 1 small really ripe banana in, mashed, and a small amount of chopped walnuts I had leftover from a cookie baking day. They were both amazing! Really easy to make and so so good! Thank you dso much Misa for another winner!! Made for Chef's Pick at one of the forum events at KK.