Recipe by Wendelina
This recipe for spring rolls is from Supenn at Sawatdee. The sauce that is listed isn't the sauce you get in the restauruant, however. That remains a secret.
- 1 cup soaked Thai rice noodles
- 1⁄2 head lettuce
- 1 cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium carrot
- 20 sprigs cilantro
- 24 rice paper, rounds
- 1⁄2 cup cooked medium shrimp, halved lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup cooked chicken or 1⁄2 cup pork, sliced thinly
- sweet and sour dipping sauce
- 2 cups rice vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon red chili sauce
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare noodles by soaking in water for 15 minutes (or cook for 5 minutes).
- Shred lettuce & peel carrot into thin strips with peeler.
- Tear springs of cilantro into 2 or 3 pieces toss with carrots & lettuce.
- Soften rice sheets in bowl of warm water- one at a time for about 30 seconds.
- Remove softened sheet from water, spread flat on top of a dampened towel.
- Top with vegetable mixture , small pile of noodles in center and two shrimp halves & slice of pork.
- Roll up a fold on each end, then continue to roll up the round until nice and snug. Rice rounds are a bit stretchy. Makes 24 rolls, and serve with dipping sauce.
- Dipping sauce: combine all ingredients until well blended. Makes about 2 cups.