1/1 Photo of Fresh Spring Rolls With Shrimp for Two
Instead of being fried, like Chinese egg rolls, these appetizers are served fresh, letting the textures and flavors of the vegetable and shrimp filling shine through. Serve with the easy dipping sauce. Points 3.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups water
- 8 large shrimp, peeled and deveined (prawns)
- 1 ounce cellophane noodle
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup peeled seeded and julienne cucumber
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced napa cabbage
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or 2 tablespoons fresh coriander
- 4 rice paper, rounds 8 inches in diameter
- 4 large fresh basil leaves, halved lengthwise
For the sauce
- 1In a saucepan, bring the 2 cups water to a boil.
- 2Add the shrimp and immediately remove the saucepan from the heat.
- 3Cover and poach until pink and opaque throughout, about 3 minutes.
- 4With a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to a bowl of ice water and let cool for 3 minutes.
- 5Drain and cut each shrimp in half lengthwise.
- 6Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 7In a heatproof bowl, combine the noodles and boiling water and soak for 10 minutes.
- 8Drain and return the noodles to the bowl.
- 9Add the carrot, cucumber, cabbage, bean spouts and cilantro.
- 10Toss gently to mix.
- 11Place a double thickness of paper towels on a work surface.
- 12Fill a large, shallow baking dish with water.
- 13Place 1 rice-paper round in the water and soak until pliable, about 30 seconds.
- 14Carefully transfer the wrapper to the paper towels and turn once to blot dry.
- 15Arrange 1/2 cup of the noodle mixture on the bottom half of the wrapper.
- 16Fold the bottom edge toward the center and roll up the wrapper halfway, making sure to wrap tightly around the filling.
- 17Tuck 2 basil leaf halves along the inside crease of the half-rolled wrapper.
- 18Arrange 4 pieces of the shrimp, cut sides up, along the crease.
- 19Fold the right and left edges of the wrapper over the filling and finish rolling up.
- 20Repeat with the remaining wrappers, filling, basil and shrimp.
- 21Transfer the rolls to a plate and cover with dampened paper towels.
- 22To make the sauce, combine the hoisin sauce, green onion, lime juice, fish sauce, peanut butter, red pepper flakes and brown sugar in a small bowl.
- 23Stir until well blended.
- 24To serve, cut the rolls in half on the diagonal and place on small individual plates.
- 25Pool the sauce alongside each roll.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Spring Rolls With Shrimp for Two
Serving Size: 1 (528 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 141.9
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 43.0 mg
- Sodium 678.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 7.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
unsalted natural-style peanut butter