Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A great soup for spinach lovers!
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 ounces fresh spinach
- Cook, drain, and chop the spinach; set aside.
- Saute the mushrooms and scallions in the butter in a saucepan until tender.
- Whisk in the flour.
- Gradually add the chicken broth and mix well. Stir in the milk and mix well. Reduce heat. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the Swiss cheese, cream cheese, salt, and nutmeg. Add pepper to taste. Cook until the cheeses melt, stirring constantly.
- Add the cooked spinach and mix well. Cook just until heated through, stirring gently.
Made just as posted, except I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese and 2% milk. Delicious! I halved the recipe for just myself, and will have enough for another bowl. I will really enjoy this soup this fall and winter when there is a chill in the air. Thanks for sharing your delicious recipe!
Made with some potatoes as a dinner tonight. though I omitted the salt, and used 2 % milk , and low-fat butter. OMG>> nice , creamy, and full of flavors. I did take Jans tip, and chopped the mushrooms up a little. I only made recipe for 3, and wish I had made more, but since I have leftover ingredients, I have lunch tommorow too. Made for Almost 5..
Love this soup. Creamy but not too rich tasting and with plenty of fresh spinach and mushrooms. I doubled the mushrooms and they are great. Next time though, I'll chop my mushrooms a little smaller.