Recipe by loof
A great soup for spinach lovers!
Top Review by breezermom
Made just as posted, except I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese and 2% milk. Delicious! I halved the recipe for just myself, and will have enough for another bowl. I will really enjoy this soup this fall and winter when there is a chill in the air. Thanks for sharing your delicious recipe!
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 ounces fresh spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook, drain, and chop the spinach; set aside.
- Saute the mushrooms and scallions in the butter in a saucepan until tender.
- Whisk in the flour.
- Gradually add the chicken broth and mix well. Stir in the milk and mix well. Reduce heat. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the Swiss cheese, cream cheese, salt, and nutmeg. Add pepper to taste. Cook until the cheeses melt, stirring constantly.
- Add the cooked spinach and mix well. Cook just until heated through, stirring gently.