Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is a variation of a cooking school recipe. Whenever I take this to parties, it gets eaten up fast no matter how much extra I make.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages fresh spinach leaves
- 3 -4 ripe pears, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Tear spinach leaves into bite-sized pieces and place in large salad bowl (Amount of spinach can be varied based on how much dressing you like on your salad).
- Add pears and onion.
- In food processor with steel knife blade, combine sugar, vinegar, mustard, and salt.
- With machine running, add oil through feed tube and process until dressing is thick (The slower you add the oil, the thicker the dressing).
- Add poppy seeds.
- Drizzle salad with dressing and toss well to coat.
- Serve immediately.
- You can make the dressing ahead and mix salad right before serving.
I tried this for a gourmet dinner party. We all loved it. I deleted the red onions and added gorgonzola cheese and pine nuts. The dressing was sweet and perfect. Everyone is asking for the recipe. Thanks for passing it on.