1/1 Photo of Fresh Spinach & Basil Pie
An easy, slightly different (and pretty darn amazing, if I do say so myself) take on a classic dish. If you don't absolutely love this, you can come over and poke me in the eye.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (9 inch) frozen deep dish pie shell (or homemade crusts, if you're feeling bold and time is on your side!)
- 15 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 -8 ounces fresh spinach leaves, chopped (uncooked)
- 1 small vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 3 -4 ounces fresh basil leaves, chopped (no cheating by using dried basil!!!)
- 2 -3 dashes salt
- 2 -3 dashes black pepper
- 1 pinch garlic powder (to taste)
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, 1 cup shredded mozzerella and 3 eggs. Mix well!
- 3Stir in chopped spinach, onion, tomato, salt, spices and fresh basil.
- 4Sprinkle 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella into one 9" pie crust, then fill with cheese/spinach/egg, etc. mixture. There may be some left over -- do not overfill!
- 5Top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella.
- 6Give yourself a pat on the back -- you're doing okay!
- 7Carefully place remaining (thawed and flattened) frozen pie crust on top and pinch edges with a fork. Remember to cut a few slits in the top crust or your pie will explode!
- 8Place on the middle rack of your nicely pre-heated oven and let it hang out for about 30 minutes. When the half-hour is up, pull the little guy out and brush egg white on the top surface (this will not only make your pie nice and shiny, but also very happy).
- 9Pop back in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the top is a nice golden brown.
- 10Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
- 12note: This recipe happens to be vegetarian, but I'm certain it would be delicious with some sausage in the mix. Feel free to experiment!
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Spinach & Basil Pie
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 488.5
- Calories from Fat 277
- Total Fat 30.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 158.5 mg
- Sodium 721.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 23.9 g