1/1 Photo of Fresh Shell Beans With Caramelized Onions and Sage
2 hrs 30 mins
Another fabulous recipe from Wilson Farms in Lexington MA. If you're a fan of fresh food and ever in or near Lexington, you've got to go to this place! It's indescribably amazing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs fresh fava beans or 3 lbs cranberry beans or 3 lbs lima beans, pods discarded
- 2 yellow onions, large with ends removed and skinned
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 stalks celery, cut into quarters
- 4 garlic cloves, whole
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup sage, fresh and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup roasted red pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1Slice the onions into thin slices.
- 2In large pot, heat the oil at medium-high heat. Add the onions; do not stir until onions start to brown.
- 3Lower heat and continue browning for about 20 minutes. You want the onions to brown evenly, but be careful they don't burn.
- 4Add carrots, celery, whole garlic cloves, and bay leaf. Cook for another five minutes.
- 5Add 1 teaspoons salt and pepper, beans, and enough water to cover everything by an inch. Bring to a simmer.
- 6Check beans after simmering 30 minutes; they should be almost soft.
- 7Cook another 10-20 minutes, or as needed. Remove from heat, drain, and reserve liquid. Remove carrots, celery, bay leaf, and garlic.
- 8Heat a saute pan over medium heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Add sliced garlic, anchovy paste, and roasted red peppers. Cook until garlic starts to brown.
- 9In a large bowl, combine garlic mixture, beans, sage, and one cup of reserved liquid. Season with salt and pepper.
- 10Serve with a first-rate crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Shell Beans With Caramelized Onions and Sage
Serving Size: 1 (152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 160.9
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 81.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 9.2 g