Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
Have some fun with this tempting alternative to beef burgers! When pulsing the salmon in the food processor, do not let it get mushy- keeping some texture will make a better burger. I like to serve this with mayo that I've added some dill to or a fruit salsa or relish topping.
- 2 lbs center cut salmon, skinless and boneless
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons finely snipped chives
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 -2 dash Tabasco sauce
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 6 toasted sesame seed hot dog buns
- Coarsely chop the salmon with a knife.
- Place in a food processor and pulse the machine on and off to achieve a coarse texture; do not over process.
- Lightly combine the salmon with the remaining ingredients, except the buns and garnishes.
- Form into 6 patties about 3 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick.
- Preheat coals or gas grill for grilling.
- Brush the grill with vegetable oil.
- Grill the burgers for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until just cooked through, turning carefully.
- Serve immediately on the toasted buns with garnishes of your choice.
Wow!! As a newbie to the west coast, having access to fresh salmon has been so wonderful. I was looking for a new idea for dinner & decided I would buy ground salmon. The store didn't carry it but the meat manager told me to just do my own, so I did & used this recipe. The only ingredient I didn't have was tobacco so I used Asian hot sauce, & the burgers were fabulous!!! I used a cast iron frying pan as i wasnt sure how they would stay together, they were fine. next time i will try them on the bbq.They are so good that I wouldn't hesitate to serve them to guests for dinner. Thank you for sharing this recipe!
Fantastic! My husband, son and I all loved this recipe. I did not have any scallions or chives, but everything else was in there. I didn't add anything not listed. I did salt the patties after I turned them in the pan, Yummy. I toasted hamburger buns and used a delicious sour cream/mayo dill sauce recipe that I made. We will definitely be having this again when my husband comes home from fishing with way too much salmon!
It maddens me that I have somehow involuntarily, accidentally, not gotten the gigantic-est/biggest portion.