Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is written with cows milk but it's just as good if not possibly better with goat and sheep's milk as well.
- 1 gallon milk
- 1 teaspoon citric acid (fresh squeezed) or 1⁄2 cup lemon juice (fresh squeezed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pour milk into a large non reactive pot. Add the acid or lemon juice and salt; stir.
- Heat the milk to 195 degrees. Stir often to avoid scorching. When curds and whey separate, turn off the heat. Allow to set undisturbed for 10 minute.
- Line a colander with a clean muslin dish towel or several layers of cheesecloth and place over a large bowl or container.
- Ladle the hot curds and whey into the cloth covered colander. Tie the cloth into the bag and hang the cheese to drain for 1 hour. Makes 1 3/4-2 lbs ricotta.