Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a family recipe. It is very yummy and very easy.
- 8 inches pastry dough, for 8-inch 2 crust pie
- 1 -1 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated orange peel (optional)
- 3 cups cut up rhubarb (1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 9 inches pastry dough, for 9-inch 2 crust
- 1 1⁄3-1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 4 cups cut up fresh rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 10 inches pastry dough, for 10-inch 2 crust pie
- 1 3⁄4-2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange peel, if desired
- 5 cups cut up fresh rhubarb (1/2 inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare pastry. Stir together sugar, flour
- and orange peel. Turn half the rhubarb into pastry lined pie pan;
- sprinkle with half the sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining rhubarb
- and sugar; dot with butter. Cover with top crust which has slits cut
- in it; seal and flute. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edge with 2 to 3
- inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil
- last 15 minutes of baking.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is brown and juice begins to
- bubble through slits in crust.
- Rhubarb - Strawberry Pie.
- Substitute sliced fresh strawberries for half the rhubarb and use the
- lesser amount of sugar.
- Personal Note:.
- When using frozen fruit make sure you thaw it completely and let it
- completely drain before you measure it.
- Not enough rhubarb to make a pie make sauce. Boil rhubarb with sugar
- to taste and a little cinnamon or strawberries. Serve with ice cream
- or whipped cream or pound cake.