Recipe by Lisa_Roy
Wayne- Here is my grandmother's recipe.
Top Review by MizzNezz
I went searching the site for a fresh rhubarb pie and this is one of them I found. It turned out to be VERY GOOD!! The orange juice and zest compliments the rhubarb. It was an easy pie to make. Not too sweet, but sweet enough. We will have this again!
- pastry dough, for double-crust 9-inch pie
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 cups rhubarb, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Roll half of pastry to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Place in a 9-inch pie plate; trim off excess pastry along edges.
- Cover with plastic wrap, and chill until ready to fill.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and nutmeg in a heavy saucepan, stirring to blend cornstarch well.
- Stir in orange rind, juice and butter.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in rhubarb.
- Spoon rhubarb mixture into prepared pastry shell.
- Roll remaining pastry to 1/4-inch thickness; cut into 1/2-inch strips.
- Arrange strips, lattice fashioned, across top of pie. Trim strips even with edges; fold edges under and flute. Bake at 425°F or 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350°F and bake an additional 30 minutes or until crust is brown.