Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
My mom makes this every spring and it is so good. Adapted from Gooseberry Patch Celebrate Spring. Posted 12-4 04.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped
- 1 prepared single 9 inch pie shell
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- In a mixing bowl, add the eggs, sour cream, sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, vanilla, and salt; mix together.
- Add the rhubarb; stir to mix.
- Add this mixture to the prepared pie crust.
- Cover crust with foil; bake at 450° for 15 minutes; lower temperature to 350° and bake 20-25 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, add the brown sugar and 1/4 cup flour; stir to mix.
- Add in the butter and mash with a fork or pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle mixture over pie filling.
- Bake pie uncovered 20 minutes longer or until set.
I've never eaten rhubarb, a kindly old man gave me about 2lbs of the stuff. I hit my favorite recipe site and found this super easy recipe. I did make a few adjustments: I decreased sugar to 3/4 cup, it was still quite sweet, but just right. I added 1 tsp dried orange peel. The pie shell was filled to the rim, I had to bake additional 25 minutes after foil removed for total of 45 min for final baking. This pie had a custard-cheese cakey taste and texture. My husband loved it and I will make again when my friend gives me more rhubarb! Thanks NurseDi for an effortless pie recipe.